Welcome

A A  

Posts » community

Urban Innovation Festival Hack-A-Thon Kickoff

Monday, 25 July 2016

PosterShepley Bulfinch is excited to be participating in the Urban Innovation Festival July 29-31, a 3-day urban design hack-a-thon organized by the Design Museum Boston. The Shepley Bulfinch team will be one of ten teams thinking about solutions for the MassDot Infra-Space 1, the area beneath I-93 that links Southie and the South End.

Gearing up for next weekend, a Pre-Festival Celebration and presentation was held Thursday night July 21st at the Microsoft New England Research and Development Center along the Charles River ...[more]

The ‘Anchor Plus’ Innovation District & The Anchor Institution

Monday, 18 July 2016

R_150707_N102The 21st century has brought a big change to urban planning: the rise of the innovation district. Defined by The Brookings Institution as “geographic areas where leading-edge anchor institutions and companies cluster and connect with start-ups, business incubators and accelerators,” innovation districts have seized the minds of community leaders around the world, with districts already in Barcelona, Boston, Cambridge, London, Philadelphia, Raleigh-Durham, Seoul, and St. Louis, to name a few.

This multi-part blog series, by Luke Voiland AIA, will focus on ...[more]

Simple things: sketchbooks through a child’s eyes

Monday, 25 January 2016

Shepley Bulfinch blue journalWhat can seem simple or mundane to us, can be magical through the eyes of a child. How often do we, as designers, grab our sketchbooks every day? We all use them in different ways: some of our sketchbooks are filled with meticulous drawings. Others, like mine, have pages filled with meeting notes and project to-do lists, with the occasional reminder to pick up a black shirt to complete a Halloween costume.

I carry my sketchbook with me everywhere, fill the pages, and grab another. What I write is not precious, it’s ...[more]

The Hobson Award comes home

Thursday, 23 July 2015

Hobson Award-SmilowThe Hobson Award is the highest level of design award given annually by the Boston Society of Architects. The AIAS Chapter at MassArt and the BSA have fostered a wonderful, collaborative relationship over the past five years. This relationship led to a phone call last fall asking if our chapter would design and create the next Hobson award.

It felt like being asked to design an Oscar, and we were thrilled to get started. I was one of five students who volunteered to participate. By brilliant happenstance, every grade level in the architecture department ...[more]

Mary Hale presented with 2015 AIA Associates Award

Friday, 15 May 2015

Mary Hale, Assoc. AIAMary Hale, Assoc. AIA, was presented with the AIA Associates Award in a ceremony at the AIA’s annual Convention in Atlanta this week. The award is the highest honor given to individual associate AIA members in recognition of their leadership qualities and commitment to the design profession and the wider community.

“Mary is a dynamic, entrepreneurial bridge builder,” Shepley Bulfinch President Carole Wedge, FAIA, said. “She is truly exceptional in her ability to connect the dots between design, practice, and community.”

Mary joined Shepley Bulfinch in 2012. She complements her contributions to the ...[more]

Sparkle+Chime – making magic

Monday, 24 November 2014

What does it take to make magic in a park?

This fall Shepley created Sparkle+Chime, an art installation made up of over 3600 small mirrors and discs suspended from the trees to create dancing patterns of light and delicate chiming. The making of Sparkle+Chime required an all-out office effort led by mostly junior staff, and drew on the diverse experience – from rock climbing to jewelry making – of the core production team. Inspired by a compelling conceptual design from competition winner Jean Kim, we took up the challenge to make ...[more]

Sparkle+Chime: Celebrating arts and culture in Boston

Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Sparkle+Chime BostonOctober has brought magic to Evans Way Park in Boston, where Shepley Bulfinch’s art installation Sparkle+Chime has filled the trees with patterns of light and sound.

Sparkle+Chime is part of the Fenway Alliance’s 2014 Opening Our Doors celebration on October 13. Hundreds of small suspended mirrored discs and lightweight metal rings have been suspended from selected trees in the park. Sunlight refracting off the discs creates shifting patterns of light across the trees and ground, with the gentle tinkling of chimes as the rings play against the discs in the breeze. Discreet ...[more]

Boston park will ‘Sparkle & Chime’ with Shepley art installation

Friday, 15 August 2014

Sparkle & Chime art installation

It’s dusk on an evening in October, and as you walk through Evans Way Park in Boston’s Fenway, you are accompanied by ethereal chiming and shimmering reflections in the trees above you.

The Fenway Alliance selected Sparkle & Chime, designed by architect Jean Kim of Shepley Bulfinch, as the audiovisual installation at Evans Way Park for several weeks in October. The installation is part of the Fenway Alliance’s 13th annual Opening Our Doors, which will be held on October 13.

Every year for the past 12 years, Opening Our Doors has welcomed the public to experience ...[more]